Adopted by the Rady JCC Board of Directors
On October 28, 2004
The Rose and Max Rady Jewish Community Centre (Rady JCC) respects the privacy of individuals by protecting personal information and adhering to legislative requirements with respect to protecting privacy. The Rady JCC values the trust of all individuals and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires that the Rady JCC be accountable in how it collects and uses personal information.
What is personal information?
‚ÄúPersonal information‚Äù is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual, except business information and publicly available information (e.g. telephone directories).
How is Personal Information Collected?
As a general rule, the Rady JCC collects information directly from individuals.
What Personal Information do we Collect?
The Rady JCC only collects information that is needed to administer transactions, conform to procedures required by law, understand interests and demographics, build strong relationships and meet service expectations.
We collect and maintain different types of personal information in respect to individuals with whom we interact. This includes:
- Contact information and pertinent health information
- Product and service related information required for the products and services which you may access
- Credit and financial information such as payment methods and preferences
- Customer relationship information such as customer service requests and feed-back and information requested or provided by or from you.
We may also collect market ‚Äìrelated information, which many include personal information, concerning market trends and activities impacting our business. This information may include contract terms, financial information and other information for the purpose of market analysis and strategic planning. We may also collect information related to our media and public relations activities.
In the course of conducting its business, the Asper Jewish Community Campus may monitor the activities of individuals in respects of its operations and its property. For example, some Rady JCC spaces within the facility are equipped with surveillance cameras. These cameras are generally in high risk areas. Where in use, surveillance cameras are there for the protection of employees and third parties, and to protect against theft, vandalism and damage to goods and property. Video tapes recording images are routinely destroyed and not shared with third parties unless there is suspicion of a crime, in which case they may be turned over to the police or other appropriate government agency or authority.
How Personal Information is Used?
We collect and retain only the minimum amount of information required to administer your membership and to provide valued programs and services. Personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- We use personal information to assess Centre membership eligibility
- We use data to verify and maintain membership status in accordance with Centre policy and procedures
- We use personal information to process sales, membership and any financial accounting transactions
- We collect personal data when you make use of or register for our programs and services in order to better meet your program, service and information needs
- We use and disclose data which does not identify individuals, for statistical purposes to develop and enhance Rady JCC programs and services
- We may also collect personal information in order to satisfy legal, government and regulatory obligations
- We may use data for any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
The Rady JCC does not sell any personal information that we collect. Personal information is disclosed or provided to third parties only in the following circumstances:
- Donor recognition ‚Äì contributors may be publicly recognized by the Rady JCC in various publications and events. Contributors have the opportunity to remain anonymous if desired.
- Third party services ‚Äì in order to maintain cost effectiveness and high level of service, services are periodically provided by third parties on behalf of the Rady JCC including credit card and electronic funds payments and bulk mailing services.
Do we need your consent?
Under privacy legislation, with some exceptions, the Rady JCC needs consent to collect and use your personal information. It is important to us that we collect, use or disclose your personal information where we have your consent to do so. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, your consent many be implied, deemed (using an opt-out mechanism) or express. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from your action or inaction. For example, when you accept our products or services, we will assume your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes related to your acceptance and use of those products or services, or for other purposes identified to you at the relevant time.
Rady JCC‚Äôs Commitment to Information Protection
Personal information gathered by the Rady JCC is kept in strict confidence. Confidentiality obligations are imposed on all staff and volunteers who are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with information for the reason obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. Measures are taken to ensure the integrity of information and to prevent its being lost, stolen or destroyed.
The Rady JCC secures your information from unauthorized access, use or disclose. We use password protocols and encryption software to protect personal information that is received and/or provided through the internet. Software is routinely updated to maximize protection of such information.
Updating your Personal Information
Since we use your personal information to provide products and services to you, it is important that the information contained in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information happens to change please keep us informed of such changes.
Inquiries and Information Access
Rady Jewish Community Centre
Suite B100 ‚Äì 123 Doncaster Street
Attention: Privacy Officer