These are difficult times we are facing. It is important for all of us to remain active and engaged while we continue to do our parts in practicing physical distancing to help curb the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic.
While our fitness and aquatic centre is closed and our in-person programming and classes are cancelled until further notice, we are here for you. With that said, we are excited to introduce you to Rady JCC Virtual Connect: an online collection of links and resources to fitness classes, health resources, and cultural programs and activities. These resources, listed below, will be updated regularly. Links are broken down by category.
Enjoy and be sure to check back soon for updates.
2020 Rady JCC Summer Day Camps
Click here for more information.
LIVE Jewish Business Network Workshops:
We are going live with some incredible Jewish Business Network professional development classes and workshops. You will have different opportunities to learn from and interact with various business professionals in a variety of fields and industries as they volunteer their time to share their expertise on a variety of topics.
More classes and workshops will be announced in the coming days.
Rabbi Series – What Makes Me Anxious?
LIVE – Featuring Rabbi Anibal Mass, Congregation Shaarey Zedek – Sunday, May 31, 2020 – 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Do you ever feel anxious? Learn about the possible sources of your anxiety and discover ways to tap into the wisdom of Judaism to stop anxiety at it’s source.
Rabbi Anibal Mass, Congregation Shaarey Zedek will lead us virtually for this one-hour interactive and educational workshop.
This session is free to attend and is part of the Rady JCC Rabbi Series.
Presented in partnership by Rady JCC and Congregation Shaarey Zedek
LIVE Virtual Classes by Rady JCC Personal Trainers and Instructors:
We are going live with our Rady JCC Virtual Connect fitness classes! Beginning this week, you will have different opportunities to learn from and interact with our Rady JCC Instructors as they volunteer their time to host virtual sessions through the simple-to-use Zoom video virtual platform.
Stay tuned for LIVE classes to be available again shortly!
Virtual Workouts & Classes by Rady JCC Personal Trainers and Instructors:
- Dynamic Stretching (posted May 7)
- Good Morning, Winnipeg! 3 Minute Workout (posted May 7)
- Functionality Workout (posted April 23)
- Tabata Workout (posted April 17)
- Bare Bones Yoga Practice (posted April 30)
- Metta Meditation (Loving Kindness) (posted April 16)
- Hatha Based Practice to Reduce Anxiety (posted April 6)
- Zumba Class 5 (posted May 25)
- Zumba Class 4 (posted April 23)
- Zumba Class 3 (posted April 23)
- Zumba Class 2 (posted April 23)
- Zumba Class 1 (posted April 23)
- Dynamic Stretch (posted May 4)
- 6 Minute Cardio Workout (posted April 27)
- 5 Minute Toned Legs Workout (posted April 27)
- 6 Minute Abs Workout (posted April 27)
- 5 Minute Toned Arms Workout (posted April 27)
- 15 Minute Chair Workout (posted April 27)
- Balance & Body Weight for Active Aging (posted April 20)
- Power Legs and Shoulders (posted April 27)
- Chair Yoga (posted April 11)
- Stretch/Strength Training (posted April 11)
- Full Body Resistance Training (posted April 6)
- Mindful Slow Flow Yoga #3 (posted May 28)
- Mindful Slow Flow Yoga #2 (posted May 21)
- Mindful Slow Flow Yoga (posted May 4)
- Barre Class (posted May 28)
- Barre Class (posted May 19)
- Zumba Toning Class (posted May 8)
- Gentle Yoga Flow (posted May 6)
- Zumba Gold (posted May 6)
- Chair Class for Seniors 2 (posted April 27)
- Chair Class for Seniors 1 (posted April 27)
- Yin #7 Class In Memory of Susan Halprin (posted May 28)
- Yin #5 Class (posted May 12)
- Yin #1 Class (posted May 12)
- Yin #2 Class (posted May 12)
- Yin #4 Class (posted April 22)
- Legs Up The Wall Yin Class (posted April 6)
Virtual Workouts & Classes by Third-Parties:
- Home-Based Pilates Exercises by Balanced Body (posted April 13)
- Peloton App – 90 day free trial (posted April 6)
- Stay Active, Stay Healthy with ParticipACTION (posted April 6)
- Eight Week Fitness Program for Seniors (posted April 6)
Health & Well-Being
Coronavirus (COVID-19) health & well-being resources:
- Crisis, Corona & Cohesiveness in Families, by Professor Emeritus Solly Dreman – Solly Dreman is Professor Emeritus in Ben Gurion University of the Negev’s Department of Psychology. He was a Fulbright Scholar at the Langley Porter Neuropsychiatric Institute, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco in 1977-78. (posted May 15)
Cooking classes, demonstrations, & recipes:
- The Reiss Girls’ Kitchen – Join local Jewish community members Lisa and Pam Reiss in the kitchen as they share some of their best recipes in these fun cooking tutorials: (updated May 27)
Shavout begins Thursday night (May 28). Lisa and Pam Reiss are pleased to share the below recipes with you to make from the comfort of your own home. Enjoy!!
- Puff Pastry Cheese Rolls
- Fresh Ricotta
- Duff’s Chocolate Babka – Celebrity Chef Duff Goldman recalls his great-grandmother’s baking recipes and gives the secrets behind her famous chocolate babka (posted April 20)
Winnipeg Synagogue Virtual Programming:
- Beit Chayim – The Online Centre for Jewish Life and Learning – June Programs – Join members of Etz Chayim’s clergy team during this time of physical distance for the opportunity to connect and engage virtually. (via Congregation Etz Chayim)
- Mondays 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Meditation Mondays with Rabbi Kliel
- Tuesdays 7:00 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. “Seeking Spiritual Wisdom in the Time of the Pandemic”, Conversations with Rabbi Amy Eilberg
- Wednesdays 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Cyber Lunch & Learn with Rabbi Kliel
- Wednesdays 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Midrash & Mixology”, with Rabbi Dr. Ryan Dulkin
- Thursdays 7:00 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. “Secret Codes and other Modes” with Cantor Tracy
- Book Club – Monday, June 1 – 7:30 p.m. – “Letters to my Palestinian neighbor” by Yossi Klein Halevi, with Rabbi Kliel
- Book Club – Monday, June 15 – 7:30 p.m. – “You are not What we Expected” with author Sidura Ludwig
Israeli dance classes:
- IFD Israeli Folk Dancing for Beginners with Sham Harei Golan (posted April 22)
- IFD Israeli Folk Dancing for Beginners with Lo Ahavti Dai (posted April 22)
- Learn to dance Israeli-style with Eretz Eretz (posted April 6)
- Learn to dance Israeli-style with Nigun Atik (posted April 6)
Music & dance:
- LIVE From Emmet’s Place – Live-streaming every Monday night, 6:30 p.m.
- Weekly Jazz Concert concert series featuring jazz musician Emmet Cohen streaming every Monday night via Emmet Cohen’s Facebook page (posted April 14)
- Rady JCC Music ‘N’ Mavens: Viaje al Sur – A Journey through Latin America – This concert, put on by the Onna Lou Quartet, includes Latin American classics along with Onna Lou’s original music. (posted April 11)
- Onna Lou (vocals and guitar)
- Rodrigo Munoz (vocals and percussion)
- Julian Vidal (vocals, melodica, bombo, and percussion)
- Gilles Fournier (vocals and bass)
- Lianed Marcoleta (video recording)
- Lourdes Moreno Campos (video editing)
- Manfred Gray (audio recording)
- Julian Vidal (audio mixing)
- Israeli Dance Festival in Mexico City – The choreographer of this group has been to Winnipeg and the members of the ensemble have performed at Folklorama in the past. (posted April 6)
Kanopy is a digital platform that allows you to stream thousands of films for free, thanks to the generous support of your local public library and university. All you require to watch is a library card or university I.D.
Each week, the Rady JCC will have new recommendations for must-watch films through Kanopy.
This week, we recommend:
Above and Beyond: The Birth of the Israeli Air Force
Barely home from WWII combat, these ace pilots – mostly Jewish- Americans – found themselves compelled to do battle yet again, this time against Arab invaders in defense of an ill-equipped Jewish state. At risk of losing their citizenship and their lives, they smuggled out surplus planes and ammunition, training in secret as they made preparations to rescue Israel from certain annihilation. Relying on a small squadron of rickety aircraft, a handful of young foreign pilots turned the tide of Israel’s War of Independence, and laid the foundation for the Israeli Air Force. With pluck, humour and chutzpah, these now-aging wingmen colorfully recount their remarkable mission. Other interviews include family descendants, scholars, Israeli President Shimon Perez, and actor Paul Reubens (aka Pee-wee Herman) whose father flew sorties against an advancing Iraqi army. Testimonies are enhanced by dazzling aerial dogfights recreated by George Lucas’s special effects shop Industrial Light & Magic.
To watch ‘Above and Beyond: The Birth of the Israeli Air Force’, click here. (If using Kanopy for the first time, you will need to enter your library card/university ID information in order to get started.)
In Search of Israeli Cuisine
Israel’s food scene is among the most dynamic in the world, extending beyond falafel and hummus to include tasty ethnic and regional specialties. Having won the James Beard award for embracing these authentic flavors, Israeli-American Michael Solomonov returns to his homeland to discover his culinary heritage anew. From Tel Aviv’s most exclusive eateries, to street bazaars, to simmering pots in family kitchens, In Search of Israeli Cuisine excites the taste buds with multi-cultural recipes passed on and elevated. Combining a procession of mouthwatering dishes and interviews with chefs, home cooks and farmers of all backgrounds, Oscar-nominated documentarian Roger Sherman presents a diverse portrait of the Israeli people told through the very personal language of food.
To watch ‘In Search of Israeli Cuisine’, click here. (If using Kanopy for the first time, you will need to enter your library card/university ID information in order to get started.)
Arik, a teenage boy growing up in Haifa in 1968, gets a job working for Yankele Bride, a matchmaker. Yankele, a mysterious Holocaust survivor, has an office in back of a movie theatre that shows only love stories, run by a family of seven Romanian dwarves in the seedy area by the port. Yankele introduces Arik to a new world, built on the ruins of an old one. As Arik begins to learn the mysteries of the human heart through his work with Yankele, he falls in love with Tamara, his friend Beni’s cousin. Tamara has just returned from America and is full of talk of women’s rights, free love and rock and roll. The disparate parts of Arik’s life collide in unexpected, often funny and very moving ways as he lives through a summer that changes him forever. Nominated for seven Israeli Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Avi Nesher’s mixes comedy with drama as it tells a coming-of-age story unlike any you’ve ever seen before.
To watch ‘The Matchmaker’, click here. (If using Kanopy for the first time, you will need to enter your library card/university ID information in order to get started.)
We here at Rady are a community. Our community is defined by the character of our members: strong, resilient, and caring. We are here for you to stay active and engaged, until the time comes we can welcome everyone back to the community we all love.
For now, to stay informed with all the latest updates and news, click here.